Saturday, November 04, 2006

Thoughts about the peacefulness of nature

I went for a walk today. It was a warm, beautiful day.....quiet, peaceful, comforting. I walked through the beautiful neighborhoods of Beverly Hills, mansions and gorgeous homes amazing my childlike spirit. Occasionally a car would speed by; I felt as if they might be wondering who I was as I wondered who they might be, but in a few flashing minutes our lives met and then hurried away. I wondered if they noticed all the beautiful trees and plants all around them. I walked quietly, only wanting the peacefulness of the trees and birds, the air and the sky to ponder upon. I tried to pray for those I saw on my walk......one man in particular of Spanish descent who worked tirelessly but agonizingly at sweeping the edge of the street where debris and litter had accumulated. I felt badly for him having to work on such a hot day when I am sure he was only dreaming of being home perhaps with his family or sleeping soundly and dreamily in an afternoon nap. We said hello and I remarked what a great deal of work he had to do, but not speaking enough English to understand my words, he nodded and I told him he was doing great. That brought a little smile to his weary face, so I began to think about how great a thing it is to comfort others who we see in our lives, even if it is someone we come across for just a fleeting few moments......what kindness it is to lift someone's spirit in their burdens of work or worry......by a simple, beautiful smile or gesture of thoughtfulness. How greatly we all need this kind of gentleness in our lives; it is surely crucial to our happiness and well-being. I kept walking, the main feeling touching my spirit throughout my wonderful walk was simply the beauty of nature.....the wonder of the little birds who flew about, singing and talking with one another. Their lives are so beautiful and simple. I think if I were to be another creature other than a human being, I would want to be a bird. I have always thought that birds are God's helpers, his angels if you will......their tiny but grand spirits are filled with such amazing gentleness and sweetness. How can we be anything but humble and moved around them? I talked to the birds as I walked, thanking them for being there for me to see and hear. I thanked the plants and the trees, the lovely ferns lining the road, green and intricate for filling my heart with gladness. How wonderful my walk was, each moment I cherished greatly with such gratitude and happiness, just to be alive. I really feel that we all stay indoors too much. We go inside our homes and live as if hermits, away from the beauty and inspiration of nature. We must stay inside at some times to protect ourselves, but too often we keep ourselves apart from the comfort and softness of nature, which can heal us so much. As I walked, I found myself praying for the world. I am sure most of us do this at one time or another, if not quite often. I prayed...... that people would find the gentleness within them; the soft and kind hearts that they carry deep within them, but it is not so deep that we cannot find it. The little child in each of us is alive and vibrant and happy, undaunting, strong and filled with an amazing sense of humor about life. I prayed that each of us would work harder to show kindness to others, to say little prayers for people we see and meet and know. I prayed that children would be protected everywhere from the terrible things in the world that would rob them of their safety and happiness. Children are so precious. We must constantly pray for them. Their innocense and sweetness is surely what keeps our world alive. I prayed that we would all acknowledge God every moment, think of him and talk to him and ask him questions......he is not unknown to us. We are his children......I am sure he misses us and loves us so dearly. I pray that we will not turn our backs on him, but turn our faces towards him and embrace the beauty of this life that he has created for us. My walk was wonderful today. It healed me and brought me so much peace. It was not the mansions of Beverly Hills that so inspired me, though, but the beauty of the gardens and the trees, the leaves and the little birds. Without those, I would not have been able to feel God near me, talking with me and helping me to know that life is good, it is sweet and beautiful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debbie - Beautiful post! Its always so special to hear the inner thoughts of artists with your talents... I too feel like I can 'talk' with the birds sometimes... and feel grateful for the little things in life. Keep writing and posting...

Starsnrose said...

Ulla led me your way and I am so very grateful! All I could add would be "Amen!" Your gentle and kind spirit shines so brightly. Your art is truly that ~ art! So wonderful. Victoria was my all time favorite magazine and I saved most of them for inspiration. I will be reading your words daily now.

Debbie Schramer said...

Hello Starsnrose....

Thank you so much for the encouraging, kind words. I am so excited to be on Ulla's blog. She is a wonderful person. I appreciate so much you saying that my creations are art, that's wonderful!! I am so excited about people seeing my work...that is what I want to do....share my creations with others.

I loved Victoria magazine so much and was just devastated when they quit publishing it. I hope someday they will bring it back.

Thank you so much for your kindness.

Debbie

Fat n Fix said...

In addition to your daily routine, monthly facials provide deep cleansing and hydration. Extractions performed during facials remove hardened oil and dirt from pores. Facial massages stimulate blood flow and depuff the skin. Hydrating masks, serums and moisturizers applied during a facial can rejuvenate dull, dry skin. Many salons offer customized facials based on your skin type and concerns.