Monday, January 23, 2012

Wonderful film about a French piano restoration artist

yesterday, i found this incredible film clip about a frenchman who restores old and rare pianos; he actually builds pianos as well. i was very touched by this video because i come from a long line of musicians in my family. my father was a jazz painist, composer, violist and also taught music all of his life and directed orchestras as well. my mother, who is still living, was an opera singer, classical pianist and voice teacher and now at the age of 85, still teaches music, composes, directs community choirs and performing groups and still plays the piano beautifully. my grandfather was a studio musician in hollywood; he played all the woodwind instruments and was actually in the dave rose band who worked for bing crosby, red skelton, phil harris and others. so i really have a ton of music in my genes. my brothers are also musicians and composers and i also play the piano and love to compose. i also love singing and have played many instruments in my life.....violin, clarinet, oboe, flute and the harp, but i love playing the piano the most. i really feel i have a spiritual person from some place else who guides me in my composing.....

but what really made me want to see this video was that my grandfather was a piano tuner (in his retirement) and i used to watch him tune pianos. i was amazed at how he would listen so intently to the sounds and was so focused on what he was doing. this is a beautiful little film and i was very touched by it. i hope he is training someone to carry on his great gift of preserving these incredible instruments!!
La Mer de Pianos from Films & Things on Vimeo.

No comments: